Information about the Trade Representation, History
According to records of the District of Columbia Historical Preservation Office database, the Lothrop mansion was designed in 1908 by noted DC Architects - Joseph Coerten Hornblower and James Rush Marshall (Hornblower and Marshall) and built in 1911 for Arthur Mason Lothrop $100,000. It should be noted that Hornblower and Marshall were very prominent in the District of Columbia and designed many government and other buildings, including the Lothrop Mansion, which are now listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Alvin Mason Lothrop was one of the original partners (and first vice president), along with Samuel Walter Woodward and Charles E. Cochrane in a dry goods store located at the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue and 7th St., NW., that later after relocating to 11th and F St., N.W. and a partnership buy out, became Woodward and Lothrop Department store, aka "Woodies".
Alvin M. Lothrop died 12/1/1912, at the age of 65. According to his will filed the same year, all real property was left to his daughter, Harriet Lothrop, who later married Nathaniel Horace Luttrell.
That was followed by a deed recorded January 27, 1975 from Nathaniel H. Luttrell, Jr. and his wife, Elizabeth F. Luttrell to The Union of the Soviet Socialist Republics.
The current deed recorded December 4, 1995 from The Government of the Union of the Soviet Socialist Republic to The Government of the Russian Federation.